Re: [Gnash] Gnash roadmap ?

From: Nicolas Cannasse
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Gnash roadmap ?
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 13:36:08 +0100

There is no roadmap as of yet, I only did the fork a few weeks ago. :-) A short roadmap would probably be:

    1. Get the plugin working
    2. Write a real roadmap and task list
    3. Add much more to the manual
    4. Do some testing and list out what isn't implemented yet
    5. Develop a test suite, and implement what's left
    6. Start a major code cleanup
    7. Look for performance improvements and do them
    8. Write a non-OpenGL backend for embedded devices
    9. SWF 8 support

Thanks Rob, it looks like great plans.

I could contribute the rendering code I have been writing. It needs some additions such as lines but already handle shapes, bitmaps, gradients and animations. The main difference is that the renderer is working with SVG-like shapes (one shape per fillstyle) while the SWF format is moving a cursor around with one fill on the left and one fill on the right.

So first I had to convert the SWF shapes to SVG-like shapes by breaking them into different shape styles. This is not easy and I'm not sure the way I'm doing that is perfect. The main problem with SVG shapes is that when two shapes are sharing an AA border it will create a small gap between the shapes which looks pretty bad. You have then to expand the shapes with 0.5 pixel in order to fill the gap.

I'm not sure which algorithm is using GameSWF, maybe implementing SWF-like shape rendering is better but I didn't found so much infos on how to do it correctly.

Nicolas