[Gnash-dev] async plugin installation

From: Dag Hovland
Subject: [Gnash-dev] async plugin installation
Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 13:43:42 +0200

Hi!

Following up on Nutchanon Wetchasit's comments to support issue https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?109027, I tested replacing the gtk plugin installation calls in llibmedia/gst/GstUtil.cpp with the async variant.

Background:

When some plugin is lacking, gtk-gnash may call gtk libraries to install the relevant plugins. The current behaviour is to use a blocking call, which leaves gnash frozen until the call returns. (I had an experience with the gtk plugin installer freezing.)
Using the async call is encouraged by the gtk manual:

https://developer.gnome.org/gst-plugins-libs/0.10/gst-plugins-base-libs-gstpbutilsinstallplugins.html#gst-install-plugins-async

The only downside, is that if you are playing a movie, you probably would prefer the movie to stop until your plugin is installed.

The patch is attached to the support issue.

Dag