Re: [Gnash-dev] "Couldn't find plugin for video type video/x-h264! Pleas

From: scott092707
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] "Couldn't find plugin for video type video/x-h264! Please make sure you have gstreamer-ffmpeg installed."
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 16:22:47 -0500

Well, somewhere it was suggested that the only reason one would need gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg would be if one had set a command-line parameter -M gst or "set mediahandler gst" in config file.

Well, I found that I had the config file option set to gst, as in the last version of [L]Ubuntu I had, I just got the spinning dots when I tried to view a YT video, and had at that time either had ffmpeg explicitly set, or had no explicit setting at all.  At the time, setting the media handler to gst solved that problem.

In this current Lubuntu (14.10) that old problem seems to have gone away, as when I commented out the "set mediahandler gst" line in my config file, videos now play just fine with both sound and picture - no gnash error window.
(I tested this, by commenting out, and un-commenting the line several times ==>  un-commented: gnash error window; commented: video works fine)

I also found that I do in fact have the gstreamer1.0-libav pkg that I thought I didn't have.

Am I right in thinking that when I do not explicitly set the media handler to gst, that it uses ffmpeg, and that libav is what is being used (as being a "replacement" for ffmpeg)?

-Scott