[Gnash-dev] "SWF 9" movies generally don't play in gnash-0.8.6

From: John Gilmore
Subject: [Gnash-dev] "SWF 9" movies generally don't play in gnash-0.8.6
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 07:31:25 -0700

I thought our big problem was in playing "SWF 10" movies.  When I run
across a site other than youtube, generally they say they want "SWF 9"
(in the "File > Properties" popup) but I don't recall a single one
actually running.  Most don't even put up decorations like the play/pause
button.

I thought we had SWF 9 nailed, about as well as SWF 8.  Not?  What common
thing are we failing to do properly?

Site that triggered this for me today:

  http://www.greenmediabox.eu/live/popd/

I'm pretty sure I've seen it on vimeo as well.  Oops, no, vimeo reports "SWF 5"
and
still fails with a blank box:

  http://vimeo.com/10786098

PS:  If the value reported in File > Properties is not relevant, then let's fix
gnash so it reports something there that IS relevant for debugging why sites
don't work in gnash.

        John