Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: Install instructions in the wiki fail for Ubuntu Jau

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: Install instructions in the wiki fail for Ubuntu Jaunty
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:42:08 -0600

On 03/21/10 12:19, sdaau wrote:

> Because of dependency problems, what I did was actually download the debs:

  From our getgnash.org site ?

> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=../lib:../lib/cygnal/plugins:../lib/gnash
> LD_PRELOAD=../lib/gnash/libgnashnet.so ./gtk-gnash $@

  If installing debs, you don't have to do this at all. Your paths are
also wrong.

> Then, I simply copy all the .so's from the /lib and subfolders in
> firefox/plugins, and call firefox with:
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/firefox/plugins
> LD_PRELOAD=/path/to/firefox/plugins/libgnashnet.so
> /path/to/firefox/firefox -P myprofile

  That's not a good idea...

> anymore - but all I get is a grey box, even for say a simple example
> like on http://www.tizag.com/flashTutorial/flashhtmlcode.php)..

  A grey box, if Gnash is installed correctly means you need to install
the ffmpeg gstreamer plugin.

> - What am I missing in the steps above in order to get gnash working in
> firefox? Is there a guide for something like my case (I guess I'd call
> it a "portable" install of Firefox + Gnash)

  If you installed the debs, *don't* do all these other steps. All those
just screw things up from ever working.

> - Are there any builds of libgnashplugin.so with all dependencies in it, so
> that
> it is the sole and only file needed in the plugins directory
> of firefox (similar to how Adobe distributes libflashplugin.so); and if

  A plugin doesn't have dependencies, and yes, just having
libgnashplugin.so in the right place (which installing the debs will do)
is all you need to do. The plugin does depend on the standalone Gnash
install, and it's the standalone that has the dependencies, which
installing the deb should take care of.

        - rob -