[Gnash-dev] Re: Configure the browser plugin to not print messages to st

From: Petter Reinholdtsen
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Re: Configure the browser plugin to not print messages to stdout/stderr?
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 17:01:32 +0100

[Rob Savoye]
> Ah yes, stable to the point of unusability on the Desktop. :-(

Which is why we in Debian Edu and Debian have some updated packages in
Debian edu and have been working on the "and a half" updates to stable
for Etch and perhaps also Lenny. :)

> Which is nearly impossible for Gnash, often bugs get fixed by heavy
> code refactoring...

Yeah.  Perhaps gnash would be suited for the volatile repository, for
packages that change a lot between stable releases? :)

>> Not sure if that is possible.  But we could do this in Debian Edu,
>> which is based on Debian Lenny with a few updated packages to get
>> very important fixes in.  Are you interested in maintaining gnash in
>> Debian Edu/Lenny for a few years (until Debian Lenny no longer have
>> security support), fixing bugs and security issues?
>
> Aren't we already doing that ? I just checked in a fix (#11723),
> which primarily fixes all the problems with the deb packages. I
> cleaned up all the dependencies, till they all can be installed in
> parallel, mozilla, klash, and konqueror too. I built new x86-karmic
> packages, now building the other platforms.

There is more to it than just creating .debs. :)

If you send your GPG key to ftpmaster (at) skolelinux.org you can get
privileges to upload to the lenny-test repository, which will make it
possible for you to get packages into the Debian Edu distribution.
Please make sure to create packages that interact with the debian
packages, ie have version numbers compatible with the debian packages
and a similar package structure, to make sure upgrades between the
packages work.

> It seems better to use a newer release. "stable" in this case means
> not keeping up to date with the web.

With you stepping up to do the work to maintain the packages, tracking
bugs reported to Debian Edu/Skolelinux and fixing security issues, it
is definitely a better option. :)

> As I can't read Norwegian, I can't tell which is the history link. But
> everything I clicked on seemed to work. There was a lot of work done to
> Text fields, text formatting, etc this summer, so maybe it's all fixed.

All of them are history links.  The entire flash application is about
the stone age. :)

If new and working packages for Lenny show up in lenny-test or
getgnash.org, I will give them a go and let you know if the text seem
complete or not.

>> showing the weather status, and finally <URL: http://www.vg.no/ >
>> which have an insane amount of flash ads which really should not bog
>> the machine down as much as it does.
>
> Hard to tell, I use AdBlock. :-) The photo galleries and the other
> stuff I randomly tried all worked fine.

Does this mean you got the weather status from

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen