Re: [Gnash-dev] Subclassing and Method execution in debug log

From: Benjamin Wolsey
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Subclassing and Method execution in debug log
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 16:41:04 +0200

> Which function call?

As far as I remember, no function calls were working. It was quite a
while ago.

> > but I will be fixing this and adding more
> > debugging once trunk builds again.
>
> Did you have a chance to? Would it be worth trying again?

Yes I did. Trunk has a considerably improved version of the machine and
some working testcases, though you need a recent version of as3compile
and swfmill to compile them.

> I would also be very much interested in helping out a bit when it comes
> to finding the problems and possibly contributing some coding. My
> problem is just, I am lacking a start point.
>
> Like in this case:
>
> - Is there anything in writing as to how AS3 is represented in memory
> after parsing?

No. You'll have to get by looking at abc_block, which contains all the
resources parsed from a single DoABC define tag. If you run Gnash with
-vvv, it will print tons of output about parsing.

> - What would be the entry point into the VM?

I don't know what you mean. Machine.cpp is the AVM2 interpreter.

> I think it will be easier to find contributors if contributing would be
> a bit easier.

I'm sure that's true, but unfortunately it isn't easy. The most helpful
thing at the moment is opcode-level tests, which are tedious and
difficult to write. I generate files with as3compile, then use a current
snapshot of swfmill to convert them to xml, then mess about with the
opcodes.

Otherwise you can go through the log_abc output (-vvv) on simple cases
and see if you can guess what's wrong.

--
The current release of Gnash is 0.8.5
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/