Re: [Gnash-dev] Utilities and BOOST

From: Benjamin Wolsey
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Utilities and BOOST
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 07:48:49 +0200

Am Sonntag, den 26.04.2009, 13:08 +0200 schrieb Andrea Palmatè:
> Hi,
> for those systems that doesn't have BOOST with exceptions enabled
> (like os4..) i've made some small patches to enable the use of BOOST

The problems with the patch are:
1. it includes the same code in four different files, which makes an
unnecessarily big mess and is more difficult to maintain.
2. it has no comment explaining what problem it fixes and on what systems.
3. I don't see why Gnash sources should include code to fix a problem in
boost packaging on other systems. If an OS insists on a particular
configuration of boost, it should perhaps have local patches to fix it.

The first two problems are crucial and should have been fixed before
someone committed the patch, but weren't. libbase/utility.h is generally
where all the miscellaneous compatibility fixes go until a better home
is found for them.

I'd like to revert the boost part of the patch until a tidier fix is
found.

Committers, please be more critical of patches before applying them!

--
The current release of Gnash is 0.8.5
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/

Benjamin Wolsey, Software Developer - http://benjaminwolsey.de