Re: [Gnash-dev] Help with building a XPI

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Help with building a XPI
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 10:17:31 -0600

Sylvain Beucler wrote:

> Btw, the binaries would be even more useful with a:
>   apt-get install apt-ftparchives
>   cd /packages/snapshots/debian/lenny/
>   apt-ftparchives packages . | gzip > Packages.gz
> so they can be used in sources.list:
>   deb http:///packages/snapshots/debian/lenny/ ./

  As our web server is running Redhat Enterprise (it came that way), I'm
not sure how to setup a deb repository on a Redhat system.

> Similarly for Fedora you could also use 'createrepo .'.

  That I did do, but haven't bothered to keep it up to date. More long
term I'd love to have deb and rpm repositories for Gnash, I just break
down on the systems administration end... There's a few things I need to
do to buildbot too, there are only so many hours in the day...

> Stripping the executable saves 90% of the size, so you might consider
> doing that too  :)

  That's probably a good idea. :-) You're the only person I know that
has even tried the experimental XPI packages, so they're mostly untested.

> In addition, I get an error with Firefox 3, "will not be installed
> because it does not provide secure updates".  I can only guess that
> FF3 requires an https URL for the updates, but I'm not sure. Do you
> know about this?

  Not at all, I'm new to XPI packaging. I'd still like it to work
correctly, as I think it'll be a good way for people to keep their copy
of Gnash more up to date after critical bug fixes.

        - rob -