Re: [Gnash-dev] status on a thread-safe release?

From: Craig Kelley
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] status on a thread-safe release?
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 12:32:07 -0700

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Rob Savoye <address@hidden> wrote:
> Michael Gilbert wrote:
>
>> just curious whether thread-safeness is on the roadmap for the next
>> gnash release?  this would be a very significant milestone and
>> great feature to have since the current browser plugin is so slow
>> (due to many spawned processes). thanks.
>
>  Yes, it's on the roadmap, but a big project with nobody working on it
> as their primary focus. We need a thread safe core lib so I can use the
> Gnash VM in Cygnal for server side ActionScript.

Newer browsers (IE8 and Chrome) are forcing all "plugins" to be in
separate processes anyway; a thread-safe Gnash wouldn't speed it up at
all in that environment.  Firefox 4 may have this feature, but it will
not see such a beast in the 3.x line at this point.

Sun is trying to fix this problem by making the JVM do a lot more
dlopen calls and making it much more modular (for download and for
startup times).

--
http://inconnu.islug.org/~ink finger address@hidden for PGP block