Re: [Gnash-dev] status on a thread-safe release?

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] status on a thread-safe release?
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 11:49:47 -0700

Michael Gilbert wrote:

> just curious whether thread-safeness is on the roadmap for the next
> gnash release?  this would be a very significant milestone and
> great feature to have since the current browser plugin is so slow
> (due to many spawned processes). thanks.

  Yes, it's on the roadmap, but a big project with nobody working on it
as their primary focus. We need a thread safe core lib so I can use the
Gnash VM in Cygnal for server side ActionScript. Me, I like to have lots
of tabs open, so I find myself often doing a "pkill gtk-gnash" in a
terminal window, so I know the problem. There may be other ways of
dealing with the "too many spawned processes" problem, like maybe having
Gnash go to sleep if it's in a background tab, and wake up when it's
popped to the foreground.

        - rob -