Re: [Gnash-dev] Internet Archive flash player, Ogg, and Gnash

From: tracey jaquith
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Internet Archive flash player, Ogg, and Gnash
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 17:41:21 -0700

gosh i fell into a blackhole both in emails and in priorities
(and vacations).

compounding all that was the fact that we started using an
updated flash player and are changing the way our /details/
pages are created (via backend conversion of
XML + XSL (server side) => HTML
XML + JSON => JSON.   JSON + JS (server side) => HTML
and it changed greatly the way we will be doing our flash player.

in case hearing a bit about how we do our flash embedding
and whatnot helps, we are using flowplayer with JS flashembed.js
that inserts into a div-by-id-reference
http://www.archive.org/flow/html/flashembed.min.js

(it's not quite live yet so hence use of "www-tracey" below)

http://www-tracey.archive.org/includes/players.js
(which gets fired off from setup in
  http://www-tracey.archive.org/includes/details.js
a "body onload" and inline <script> frag from a page like:
http://www-tracey.archive.org/details/commute

so where were we?  8-)

for a current browser to play h.264 .mp4 video, in terms of the
adobe solution, they need a plugin > 9,115
( http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Flash_Player:9:Update:H.264 )

but now i'm not sure where we were going with that.

were you talking about the version of flash that was used to
create the .swf of the flowplayer we are using?
(which is http://www.archive.org/flow/FlowPlayerLight.swf )
the older flash player we are about to move away from is
http://www.archive.org/flv/FlowPlayerWhite.swf

lastly, for more context, i've reattached john gilmore's original email
at the bottom in case that helps.

thanks and sorry for dropping the ball,
--tracey