Re: [Gnash-dev] generating png images from swf file

From: Udo Giacomozzi
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] generating png images from swf file
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 17:19:29 +0200

Hello Henry,

Friday, July 6, 2007, 5:07:29 PM, you wrote:
HM> (sending again, it looks like previous attempt got bounced for
HM> having HTML in it)

It still contains html... ;)

HM> I have a bunch of individual swf files which contain more or less
HM> static images, which I would like to render as png files so I can
HM> use them in a cross-platform OpenLaszlo application (DHTML
HM> runtime). Is there any easy way to use gnash as a converter, to
HM> render the swf files as bitmaps and write them out to disk in some
HM> format (PNG would be ideal, but some raw bitmap format could be
HM> used as well, and converter with imagemagick or something)?

This can be done, but you'd need a special "GUI" for this (like we
have a GUI for GTK, one for KDE, for Windows, ... and a special
NullGui). The rendering can be done using AGG, so the "FB" GUI (the
simplest one) would be a good start.

Unfortunately I haven't (and probably the other developers neither?)
the time to make this a priority (altough it has been requested a few
times), so Gnash won't offer this possibility in the near future.

Of course you're welcome to extend Gnash in this direction and send us
your patches. It should not be hard to do once you understand the GUI
concept and have the PNG writing code.

For the rest Gnash already has all necessary options for automating
SWF-to-whatever conversions:
  -1 switch exits instead of looping the movie
  -t exits after a specified amount of time

Good luck,
Udo