--with/--enable (was Re: [Gnash-dev] swfdec testsuite)

From: Martin Guy
Subject: --with/--enable (was Re: [Gnash-dev] swfdec testsuite)
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 16:09:04 +0000

I've added a --with-swfdec-testsuite switch to configure.

Hi
 Briefly: We keep using --with when I think we should be using --enable.

As I understand it, "--enable-feature" options are used where
"feature" indicates an optional part of the program to be compiled in
or excluded, with the possibility of choosing between different
alternate implementations.

--with-package instead tells configure which version of an installed
package to use, in case there are multiple versions in different
directories, or to give hints about there things are installed:
Example: ./configure --with-tcl=/usr/local --with-tk=/usr/local
The opposite, --without-foo, means not to use any installed version of
that library/package, even if it is found, or not to use a specific
version (--without-gnu-as)

There is something on the intended difference in the Gnu Autobook
http://sourceware.org/autobook/autobook/autobook_14.html#SEC14

For this switch, for the mp3-renderer and in the future, I think we
should be using --enable/--disable in every case.