[Gnash-dev] Extensions: only for ActionScript?

From: Udo Giacomozzi
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Extensions: only for ActionScript?
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 19:22:02 +0100

Rob,

I'm really enthusiastic about the Gnash Extensions because of the
possibilities it offers to embedded systems (specifically designed
movies).

However, the extension system seems aim to extending ActionScript
mainly. Would it be possible extend the rendering part, too? I'm
concretely thinking at adding video streaming possibilities (show a
M-JPEG video coming from a webcam or an uncompressed external video
source). What would be necessary to realize something like this, if
possible at all?

Of course, being a non-standard feature this would need to be a
loadable extension. Then it would work somewhat like this:

  myvideo = createVideoWindow("myvideo", 100);
  myvideo._x = 100;
  myvideo._y = 50;
  myvideo.source = "http://192.168.0.1/stream.mjpg";

I have no real need for this at the moment, but this would open lots
of possibilities, for example to integrate the rear camera in an
in-car system or to use Gnash for a home entertainment system or
whatever.

Just some ideas...

Udo