gluster-devel

Re: [Gluster-devel] performance

From: Chris Johnson
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] performance
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 13:44:14 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007, Kevan Benson wrote:

1) Stock fuse, or glusterfs patched fuse? See http://ftp.zresearch.com/pub/gluster/glusterfs/fuse/. The Glusterfs team has some changes to some default values in fuse to make it perform better for common glusterfs scenarios, as well as a fix for locking, so you are better off using the glusterfs supplied fuse if you want better performance and or locking.

     Stock because I could get an RPM for it.

2) The read-ahead and write-behind translators are there to boost performance for certain scenarios if you know the types of access your mount will be doing much of the time.

     Serial reads and writes mostly.  Very little if any random stuff.

3) The real speed benefits arise when you are able to span reads across multiple servers, increasing response and transfer rate. This is where the real benefits are (as well as redundancy), which NFS can't really compete with (unless you're using Solaris).

     Striping?  I thought that was frowned upon.

4) That's a real close benchmark. Are you sure the medium over which you are transferring the data isn't maxed? IB or TCP/IP? 100Mbit or 1000Mbit (and server grade or workstation grade cards if gigabit).

     The servers are on gigabit.  It was a preliminary test.  I need
to do it over known gigabit on both ends.  That's next.

Systems Administrator       |Web:      http://www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/~johnson
NMR Center                  |Voice:    617.726.0949
Mass. General Hospital      |FAX:      617.726.7422
149 (2301) 13th Street      |Man's a kind of missing link
Charlestown, MA., 02129 USA |fondly thinking he can think.  Piet Hein