glug-nith-discuss

Re: [Glug-nith-discuss] Plugging in

From: Debarshi Ray
Subject: Re: [Glug-nith-discuss] Plugging in
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 11:59:00 +0200

> For quite some time, I
> was trying to understand yum code which unfortunately I haven't been
> able to.

Just curious. What were you trying to do with Yum?

>  I am ready to trade my sleep with the moments of frustration. Please
> tell me how do I get involved in it .

Here is what we are going to do. The program for which we will write a
plugin framework is Solang [1]. We will do so by using a plugin
library called libpeas [2].

Initially I would suggest that you take a look at the peas-demo
directory of libpeas and go through the example. That will give you a
basic idea of plugins and how libpeas can help you to make an
application pluggable. While doing that it would be a good idea to
learn the basics of GObject. GObject is basically a framework to help
write object-oriented code in C. The entire GNOME desktop relies on it
in one way or the other.

If you have survived this, then we can start hacking.

Cheers,
Debarshi

[1] http://projects.gnome.org/solang/
[2] git://code.istique.net/libgpe.git ,
http://rishi.fedorapeople.org/libpeas-2.29.0.tar.bz2
--
One reason that life is complex is that it has a real part and an
imaginary part.