ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] Main Topic for 2012

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] Main Topic for 2012
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 10:06:44 +0000

On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 11:25:29AM +0200, Giuseppe Scrivano wrote:
     address@hidden (Ludovic Court??s) writes:

     > For instance, one can implement a file system, restart it when it
     > crashes (instead of rebooting), debug it with gdb, and be blissfully
     > ignorant of the OS innards.

     That is somehow possible under Linux too with FUSE.   Even if you don't
     use FUSE you don't need to know everything about the kernel but just
     some components (and IMHO ignorant developers should stay away from the
     kernel).

FUSE however, has some big drawbacks.  For example file locking is not possible.
Last time I changed, that was also the case with Hurd. (Or at least partial
file locking wasn't possible).  Perhaps it has improved since I chacked.

Anyway, I would be in favour of word in  the Hurd continuing, even if it's
only an academic project.

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3
See http://keys.gnupg.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.