ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] Main Topic for 2012

From: Rick C. Hodgin
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] Main Topic for 2012
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 06:26:51 -0400

Jose,

Exactly!  And what you describe is a most scary future.

Either we believe in free software, or we don't.  Either we get the HURD
finished, or we lose.  The situation is very near to being that simple. The
HURD (or its monolithic alternative) must be completed.

There is too much at stake to NOT pursue our kernel again as the top GNU
project priority.

With all that's happening in the world with freedom stealing software/hardware,
DRM, patents, Secure Boot locking alternatives out, out-of-band communication
abilities on hardware (cell phones, Intel vPro), and these "free" (price)
non-free (liberty/copyleft) replacements, everything hinges on having a
complete free software stack from the kernel up.  It liberates us from what's
coming.

And I would truly argue that we simply owe it to humanity to complete GNU, to
give a free alternative even if they ultimately reject it, because some
won't.Some WILL use it, which means freedom hasn't died.

I urge all of you to watch Eben Moglen's "Innovation Under Austerity" speech on
YouTube. Also his "re:publica 2012" address.

Five years is a long time in computers, especially this past decade. And what
Eben speaks about puts things in their proper perspective.  Eye opening.

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin