Re: [gforth] whatever happened with Forth

From: Jeffrey Chimene
Subject: Re: [gforth] whatever happened with Forth
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2019 13:46:20 -0700

Carpe diem.

WebAssembly engine in forth

On 9/6/19 1:34 PM, address@hidden wrote:
On 2019-09-06 14:42, address@hidden wrote:
Why has Forth disappeared so completely? I guess I really mean, why did it lose popularity.  I came along just as Forth Dimensions was disappearing, and
all the different Forth companies were all going out of business.

I love Forth, it seems like a perfect language. Not that easy to hook it up to
all the Microsoft stack perhaps, but still wonderful once you do.

Is it just that the world has moved on?

In my opinion there has been no fundamental change. E.g., over the years,
the sales numbers of iForth haven't really changed, and I see myself
and others use Forth more and more for truly unbelievable stuff.

What has changed is the disappearance of high-quality / highly interesting
magazines like FD. We all know what has come in their place. It will take
another decade (and another generation) to rebalance quality and quantity. We did lose a few Forth generations to the smart-phone and social media :-)

-marcel