Re: [gforth] Running Gforth on Mips64el

From: Bernd Paysan
Subject: Re: [gforth] Running Gforth on Mips64el
Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 12:47:15 +0200

Am Samstag, 24. Mai 2014, 07:05:32 schrieb David Kuehling:
> Hi,
>
> just compiled Gforth head in a Mips64el Debian Sid system (actually a
> chroot boostrapped from here [1]), and the result seems to work.  I'm
> actually surprised, given that 64-bit MIPS OS are extremely rare, so
> this may have not been tested at all before.  (BTW Gforth package is
> missing from the Mips64el port, maybe the older Gforth used in Debian
> does have problems with Mips64).

Anton had used some Ultrix machines during the early development of Gforth, so
unless we don't break anything, MIPS64 should work fine (and has worked very
early on).

> What bugs me is that there is no way to determine the ABI of the
> underlying OS from within Gforth.  Typeing MACHINE TYPE just gives
> 'mips' on both O32 and N64 ABIs.  Gforth' MIPS assembler needs to know
> the ABI as register aliases differ by ABI.  I could patch it to just
> check CELL-size and assume N64 if CELL=8 and O32 if CELL=4, but then
> it'll still fail on N32 MIPS systems (and O64 systems, though these
> should be extremely rare or non-existent).

What does config.guess return on these different machines?  I see only mips or
mips64, which we both turn to mips (actually, we should keep mips64 as is),
but I have no idea how to distinguish between O32 and N32.

> If somebody wants to do Mips64-specific tuning to Gforth, I can hand out
> login access to the machine in question.

Look at some benchmarks with see-code in gforth-fast, if it doesn't look too
bad, there's no problem.

--
Bernd Paysan
http://bernd-paysan.de/