Re: [gforth] Running Gforth on Mips64el

From: David Kuehling
Subject: Re: [gforth] Running Gforth on Mips64el
Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 16:48:03 +0200

>> If somebody wants to do Mips64-specific tuning to Gforth, I can hand
>> out login access to the machine in question.

> Look at some benchmarks with see-code in gforth-fast, if it doesn't
> look too bad, there's no problem.

Yes, benchmarks look fine.  Without --dynamic there's no noticeable
performance impact.  With --dynamic, gforth-fast is slightly faster,
which might be due to the mips-specific primitive relocatability checks
having no 64-bit opcodes in the opcode blacklist.  Not that any checks
would be needed.  Everything new enough to have 64-bit opcodes at all,
should not have any of the delay slots and instruction order constraints
these checks enforce.  Will have a look at that again, maybe relaxing
some checks we can speed 32-bit gforth-fast somewhat up (AFAIK Debian
nowadays compiles with -march=mips2, so if we detected cpu >= mips2 we
may disable some checks).

David
--
GnuPG public key: http://dvdkhlng.users.sourceforge.net/dk2.gpg
Fingerprint: B63B 6AF2 4EEB F033 46F7  7F1D 935E 6F08 E457 205F