[gforth] Redirecting interpreter output to a counted string

From: Sam Putman
Subject: [gforth] Redirecting interpreter output to a counted string
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 11:37:36 -0800

Hi,

I am curious how to redirect the output of the `evaluate` word into a counted string.

That is, I'd like something like this:

: innerloop
eval-pad cols accept
eval-pad swap evaluate
recurse ;

To break it down to its essence, I want each `evaluate` call to return a counted string to the stack, rather than to output to the current cursor position.

I'm new to gforth, and couldn't find this in the manual or glossary. Apologies if I've overlooked an obvious word.

Thanks!

cheers,
-Sam.