Re: [gforth] Redirecting interpreter output to a counted string

From: Bernd Paysan
Subject: Re: [gforth] Redirecting interpreter output to a counted string
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 21:13:19 +0100

Am Sonntag, 12. Januar 2014, 11:37:36 schrieb Sam Putman:
> Hi,
>
> I am curious how to redirect the output of the `evaluate` word into a
> counted string.
>
> That is, I'd like something like this:
> : innerloop
>
> eval-pad cols accept
> eval-pad swap evaluate
> recurse ;
>
> To break it down to its essence, I want each `evaluate` call to return a
> counted string to the stack, rather than to output to the current cursor
> position.
>
> I'm new to gforth, and couldn't find this in the manual or glossary.
> Apologies if I've overlooked an obvious word.

The current development version (e.g. the last snapshot) has words for that,
0.7.x doesn't. But you can load str-exec.fs from the development branch into
0.7.3 without problems.

https://github.com/forthy42/gforth/blob/master/str-exec.fs

There are other ways to achieve what you want (of course), but this is
probably the easiest one.

--
Bernd Paysan
http://bernd-paysan.de/