getfem-users

Re: getfem compilation problems on mac os catalina

From: Michel Fournié
Subject: Re: getfem compilation problems on mac os catalina
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 07:57:09 +0200

Dear Esin,

I install getfem recently on the same type of environment (OS X  + Homebrew).
Indeed, the classical installation process fails.

One issue can be to install older compiler. In my case g++-mp-9 … run under Catalina.
You can control the choice in the configuration using

CXX=« /usr/local/bin/g++-mp-9" \
CC=« /usr/local/bin/gcc-mp-9" \
FC=« /usr/local/bin/gfortran-mp-9 » \

In my case the biggest difficulty was to link Mumps.
I never arrive to use the lib coming from Homebrew (or Macport).

To overcome this difficulty,
1) I construct mumps-lib from the source code with the same compiler used for getfem.
In your case g++-mp-9 must be used (gcc-10 doesn’t run).
With different compilers and mixed lib (Laplace from Homebrew and Lapack from CommandLineTools …. )
There are some risks to have "unresolved symbol » in the compilation (you have to try).
2) Even if I copy (or symbolic link) the mumps-lib into the default directory /usr/local/lib
The configuration step fails to find it (even if I try to force my PATH variable in my environment, even if I try to
give the good PATH into getfem-configuration : MUMPS_LIBS, —with-mumps-include-dir …).

My conclusion :
I preferred to force the link using only LIBS flag (it is sufficient). I use something like that (config used under BigSur)

./configure LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib 'LIBS=-L/your-path/MUMPS_5.4.0/PORD/lib -lpord -L/your-path/MUMPS_5.4.0/lib -lmumps_common -ldmumps -lsmumps -lzmumps -lcmumps -larpack -lqhullstatic -L/your-path/GETFEM++/MUMPS_5.4.0/libseq -lmpiseq -lmetis -lgfortran' --disable-matlab --with-pic --enable-python

Even if the output informations returned by the configuration step specifies that Mumps is not find, the install is correct.

(libmetis,libgfortran are into /usr/local/lib).

Best regards.

Michel.