getfem-users

Re: getfem compilation problems on mac os catalina

From: edgar
Subject: Re: getfem compilation problems on mac os catalina
Date: Fri, 07 May 2021 01:01:29 +0000

On 2021-05-06 20:42, Esin B Sozer wrote:
Hello,

I have been trying to compile getfem 5.4.1 for a week now and I am out of
ideas what to do,

Disclaimer 1: I am a user who never managed to run the test cases.
Disclaimer 2: I use GNU/Linux, and I cannot recommend using any OS from Macintosh (Apple). Get GNU/Linux, it's free!

TL;DR (too long; didn't read): Look for "3.21 Environment Variables Affecting GCC"

Any command that you type in your terminal will be found depending on your PATH variable. There are different variables in your terminal which help the compiler find the right programs to run. I would recommend you to start reading upon those variables. If you are going to be using GetFEM or any other library, you'll benefit from it. Use Qwant, DuckDuckGo, Startpage or any other search engine to look for "3.21 Environment Variables Affecting GCC".

Your `--prefix' argument will affect where GetFEM will be installed, not how gcc is found. When you execute `./configure', you are asking your computer to run the `configure' program in the current directory (`./'). If the computer finds a file which is executable (does not need to be a binary file, it can be a script) with that name in the specified directory, it will try to run it. By doing that, `configure' will take the default values for all variables and will try to find the needed tools and libraries so that you can later run `make' (note the lack of `./'). It is then when GetFEM gets compiled--if your command line interpreter is able to find `make', that is (the PATH variable will help with that).

Right now, your `configure' cannot find anything, by the looks of it. Read about the variables, and then run `./configure --help'. It will show you the variables that you can customize to build GetFEM. To set your prefix, for example, you can do `configure --prefix=_something_'. If you need to set a variable (they are usually in uppercase), you can do something like `LANG=en ./configure --prefix=/get/linux'. This would tell `configure' to set the variable `LANG' to `en' and use `/get/linux' as the path where you intend to install the program.

Good luck!