geiser-users

Re: [Geiser-users] Missing geiser.info in git clone

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: [Geiser-users] Missing geiser.info in git clone
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 04:29:28 +0100

Hi Mark,

On Sat, Dec 18 2010, Mark Harig wrote:

> After following the brief instructions for retrieving a git clone of
> the geiser repository at
> http://www.nongnu.org/geiser/geiser_2.html#Installation:
>
>   git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/geiser.git
>    "That’s it: you’re ready to go. You can even continue to read this
> fine manual inside Emacs by opening ‘doc/geiser.info’ using C-u C-h i.
>
>    What? You still here? I promise the above is all that’s needed to
> start using Geiser."
>
> I attempted to read the .info file, but there is no geiser.info file
> in the directory 'geiser/doc'.

Sorry for the confusion: that text is intended for source tree obtained
from a release tarball (we've been delaying the first release waiting
for Guile 2.0... at the time i was writing those paragraphs it seemed
imminent :)).

I've added a short sentence clarifying that.

> After following the instructions to build 'geiser', a copy of
> geiser.info' was created in the 'doc' subdirectory.
>
> If the instructions are to be kept as simple as they are above, then
> it appears that 'geiser.info' (generated from the .texinfo files)
> needs to be added to the 'doc' subdirectory in the git repository
> (each time the .texinfo files are updated).

As i said above, it'll be as simple as that for release tarballs
(including the info files is a standard practice in source releases, and
the 'dist' target already does that). Derived files such as geiser.info
do not belong to the source control management.

I guess i should take advantage of the recent Guile 1.9.14 release and
release Geiser 0.1 as supporting that Guile and Racket 5.0.2... What do
people think?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to send your feedback!

Cheers,
jao
--
I always pass on good advice. It's the only thing to do with it. It is
never any use to oneself.