gdb

Re: Breakpoint on first instruction in program

From: Iurie
Subject: Re: Breakpoint on first instruction in program
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 11:46:13 +0100

Hi Bob,
what course u are teaching out there? give me the link to it, perhaps i will learn there something useful as i am also a student.

On 21 June 2012 05:09, Bob Plantz <address@hidden> wrote:
On 6/20/2012 1:39 PM, Adam Beneschan wrote:

I am using the following assembly language program (doNothingProg.s) for
instruction purposes:

         .text
         .globl  main
         .type   main, @function
main:
         pushq   %rbp        # save caller's frame pointer
         movq    %rsp, %rbp  # establish our frame pointer
         movl    $0, %eax    # return 0 to caller
         movq    %rbp, %rsp  # restore stack pointer
         popq    %rbp        # restore caller's frame pointer
         ret                 # back to caller

I want to set a breakpoint at the first instruction (pushq %rbp) so
students can see how the stack frame is created.
break *&main

                                -- Adam
Thank you for the response Adam.

Actually, break *main worked for me. (Or just br *main). I'm not in Linux right now, but I will double check next time I log in.

I found this by using info gdb and some looking around. As usual, the answer is in the documentation, as I often told my students. :-[

--Bob