gdb

Setting a breakpoint at a line number and character offset

From: andy_westken
Subject: Setting a breakpoint at a line number and character offset
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 10:47:15 -0700 (PDT)

Hi

I apologise if this question has been answered elsewhere, but my web
searches were swamped by noise...

Is is possible to get gdb to set a breakpoint at a line number and a
character offset (or column) on the line?

>From what I understand, this is not possible (at least for Ubuntu and
GnuWin32 versions of the debugger). But I wanted to cross-check before using
this to justify an item in some coding conventions.

Thanks, Andy

P.S. My contention is that code of the following form is intrinsically evil,
from a debugging perspective.

if(condition) function1() else function2();

whereas

if(condition)
    function1()
else