gdb

Re: How to use a gdb-stub?

From: TriKri
Subject: Re: How to use a gdb-stub?
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 01:38:31 -0700 (PDT)

In my case, I use a JTAG to communicate with the target system's CPU (a
MIPS), so I don't think gdb-server will do the thing. I will need to have
some software running on the local machine, or at least a machine connected
to the debugging host via ethernet (since I guess gdb itself can't talk over
a JTAG); the target system is not connected via ethernet, since a JTAG is in
between. I already have software to communicate with the target system
through the JTAG, I just can't figure out (reading the gdb manual) how to
integrate it with gdb, that's what I'm trying to find out.

I read in a forum that the OpenOCD (open on chip debug) program uses TCP/IP
port 3333 (by default) to communicate with gdb. It was stated that the
common case is to run gdb on the same machine and connect to the localhost.
I would probably have to do the same thing, since I use a JTAG (that's what
OpenOCD expects too).