gdb

GDB Algorithm to monitor program variables

From: mjamon
Subject: GDB Algorithm to monitor program variables
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 21:54:28 -0800 (PST)

Hello everyone,

     I am trying to explore the capabilities of the GNU Debugger and I found
out that it can detect program variables during runtime even though the
program is not compiled with -g option.
     Does anyone know how GDB does this? Like an algorithm used to read
variables and symbols during runtime.

     I have read gdbint.pdf which contains specific algorithms gdb used but
it does not tackle the algorithms used to read variables during runtime.
     I also tried getting the source code of GDB but it seems very
complicated. I am just trying to learn something from the GDB source and not
every file in the source code.

     Do you know any documentation of GDB that can make you understand how
the software was developed??

    Thank you very much. Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,
Marc Glenn