gdb

Re: Debugged executable not accessible after end of debugging

From: Ulrich Achleitner
Subject: Re: Debugged executable not accessible after end of debugging
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 12:35:08 +0200

Am 03.08.2007, 08:55 Uhr, schrieb Ulrich Achleitner <address@hidden>:

Hi,

there's the problem that after ending my debugging session the previously debugged executable seems to be still 'in use by something' - at least, in the course of a subsequent (debug) build the linker complains that it cannot write the executable anew because 'access [is] denied'.
The problem occurs repeatedly every 3-5 debug sessions (estimated).

My tools (freshly installed) and platform:
- Eclipse 3.3 'Europa'
- MinGW 3.4.2
- GDB 5.2.1.1 (as downloaded from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&package_id=82721, so it's most probably a version modified(?) for MinGw)
- Windows XP
- Dual core Intel processor

My questions:
Did anybody experience similar problems?
Which is the process to kill (using task manager) in order to 'free' executable?

Have a nice day,
Ulrich

Problem solved.

I used ProcessExplorer's (http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/ProcessExplorer.zip, thanks to Vincent Torri for the right hint at the right time :) search feature and searched for the 'handle or
DLL substring' 'myExecutable' - what did i find?
'TeaTimer' (the resident part of Spybot (http://www.safer-networking.org))
held three handles to 'myExecutable.exe'. Well, terminating that
'TeaTimer' released the handles and the problem had been solved.

Who would have thought of such a coincidental interaction...

Have a nice day,
Ulrich