gdb

Re: [Gdb] Another try

From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain
Subject: Re: [Gdb] Another try
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 18:29:20 -0600

Hi Jack,

> BUT now, the next step is to "make install", but I do not have a "make"
> in the subdirectory.  I do have an install-sh.  can tha tbe used?

Nope, that is for something different.

The usual way is to use the brand new Gnu Make executable to install
itself:

  ./make install

> Also, I do have an "ar".  How do I use it.  Do I just type the
> instruction as you gave it?

Make sure that the directory where 'ar' lives is in your $PATH variable.
($PATH is a list of places where the system looks for commands to run).
Once that is set, then 'make' in the gdb directory ought to run 'ar'
on its own when it needs to, just as it runs 'gcc'.

Michael C