gdb

[Gdb] gdbserver 5.0

From: martin . bell
Subject: [Gdb] gdbserver 5.0
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 09:32:32 +0000

hi,

I have built a gdbserver 5.0 suitable for the ARM architecture.

Through testing I have found it to work fine on everything (gtk stuff
included) but multi-threaded binaries - this is a fault of gdbserver 5.0
and 5.1 and not the result of a bad build. It has been tested on
familiar 0.4 and intimate and is okay.

The gdbserver README is easily found through google as a howto. It is
important that for this to be useable, GDB on the host side must be 5.0
and be configured as

--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --target=arm-linux

This makes that particular GDB only usable for cross-debugging from i686
to arm - which is what you want.

Hint: a silly mistake I kept making was running gdb thinking I was
running the cross-debugger when really (because of the PATH) I was
running the native gdb. Use alias to over come this if you need to.

I have not tested the gdbserver on familiar 0.5 and would appreciate any
feed back if someone does try it.

Thanks for all your help. I hope this is useful to you.

Martin.