gcmd-users

Re: [gcmd-usr] gnome-commander on newer OS versions

From: Uwe Scholz
Subject: Re: [gcmd-usr] gnome-commander on newer OS versions
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 22:32:12 +0200

Hi,

if things develop in the same direction I will probably have more time
to work on Gcmd in the next months... Lets see. ^_^

Am Tue, 21 Apr 2020 00:02:58 +0000 schrieb kht-lists via gcmd-devel:

> [...]

Oh nooo, that's a pity. But luckily I already started coding away at
least from libgnomeui. It is still some effort to be done, I cannot say
how much time I will need to complete. I think I completed ~20% of it
now. Libgnome-2.0 should follow.

> I think these are probably quite old and probably obsolete. Does that
> mean that a significant re-write of the g-c program is needed?

That's right. There is still hope as the gnome developer documentation
has some migration guides for the deprecated libgnomeui. There are some
examples given, but I have to dig a bit, it takes some time... For
libgnome-2.0 I did not have a look. Volunteers are welcome! :)

> That determination is beyond the scope of my knowledge. There had
> been some discussion in the past of building a g-c Flatpack. I have
> installed ONE flatpack but have no idea how to build one. Perhaps it
> is time that I learn.

There was one guy who showed interest in creating a flatpack for Gcmd,
but I did not receive an update on his work.

> Ken

Sidenote: Fedora still provides a package of Gnome Commander:
https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/gnome-commander/overview/