gcmd-users

Re: [gcmd-usr] [gcmd-dev] gnome-commander on newer OS versions

From: kht-lists
Subject: Re: [gcmd-usr] [gcmd-dev] gnome-commander on newer OS versions
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 00:02:58 +0000

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Monday, April 20, 2020 2:11 PM, kht-lists via gcmd-devel <address@hidden>
wrote:

> Hello and I hope all are doing well during the virus situation
>
> Just wondering if anyone has built/installed g-c on RHEL/CentOS 8 or Ubuntu
> Mate 20.04? I am at the moment testing the beta image for Ubuntu Mate 20.04
> and it is going well. g-c and scanning software/drivers for my ancient
> multi-function printer/scanner are the last bits I need to test (I think).
>
> Ken Taylor
>
> Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.
>
> gcmd-devel mailing list
> address@hidden

Well if you want it done I guess you have to do it yourself :-) Following the
instructions on the g-c web site for compiling g-c on Ubuntu - which I am
afraid I am responsible for :-( I found that the following packages are not
available in the Ubuntu Mate 20.04 repos:

E: Unable to locate package libgnome-2.0
E: Unable to locate package libgnomeui-dev

I think these are probably quite old and probably obsolete. Does that mean that
a significant re-write of the g-c program is needed?  That determination is
beyond the scope of my knowledge. There had been some discussion in the past of
building a g-c Flatpack. I have installed ONE flatpack but have no idea how to
build one. Perhaps it is time that I learn.

Ken