gcmd-devel

[gcmd-dev] keyboard shortcuts and keycodes

From: Michael
Subject: [gcmd-dev] keyboard shortcuts and keycodes
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 10:28:37 +0100

Maybe here's one reason why some keyboard shortcuts didn't work (anymore) at
some point int the past ?

About xorg new design,

"The evdev driver was the first step in changing this. evdev is a framework for
handling I/O generically. It allows the kernel to deal with the details of the
specific device, and allows any userspace programs to interface with it. When
the X server uses the evdev driver it effectively moves all actual hardware
handling in to the kernel where it belongs.
The kernel is even able to provide information about things like mouse button
or axis function, giving the X server the same flexibility found in its best
drivers. This provides a significantly simpler and more maintainable driver on
the X side, thereby separating responsibilities clearly and making the X server
a good citizen within the OS.
Overall, using evdev creates a less complicated system. Because of these
benefits, the current default is for the X server to use evdev by default on
Linux. In doing so, the keymap changes to that provided by evdev, which has
created some minor discomfort for those with custom mappings created through
xbindkeys or xmodmap. All that's required in these cases is a simple remapping
to the new keycodes.
Obviously, this is not the sort of problem we expect to happen again in the
foreseeable future, but it's a necessary price to pay once in a decade for the
substantial benefits we gain by switching to evdev."

http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/InputHotplugGuide