gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] License of GC

From: Magnus Stålnacke
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] License of GC
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 03:47:37 +0100

Rutger van Haasteren wrote:
Great, thanks! Should have checked the public version as well then... I've
never developed for a GNOME app before, so there my confusion about the
copyright. You're right. My programming started quite some time ago for
windows (before I became a physics student and went to Linux), but I'm
starting again and now I want a serious project. I'll check the todo list
right away...

You are very welcome.

About the TODO. Most of the items in that file have
been discussed on this list, most of it from mars to
may 2006, you can browse and search in the archive:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gcmd-devel

Or just ask if there is anything unclear.

About the copyright..

It also says copyright in the about box, which I think is strange
for a GPL program (although I respect the work of Marcus Bjurman).

Yes it says "copyright" (just as it should).
All the early code is copyright Marcus Bjurman,
and licensed GPL, and the same for all authors and
later code. There has to be a copyright holder, hwo
release his work under a license, the copyright holder
is the only one authorized to do that.

A short bit of history about GCMD.

Marcus Bjurman was the one hwo started this project 2001,
and developed it up to version 1.1.6 in 2004. First it
had its home at Sourceforge, then the project moved to
Savannah for a period, untill the source tree moved to
Gnome.org. Though the homepage is still hosted at Savannah.
But in 2004 Marcus got a new job, moved to another city,
was even without Internet connection for quite some time,
and eventually he lost his interest. He is not around this
project anymore.

Version 1.1.6 was quite stable and made a good job for
basic filemanagement, but the development stood still
from 2004 until Feb 2006 when Piotr (hwo had been around
committing code since 2004 i think - right Piotr?) became the
new maintainer and lead developer of the project. Around mars
Assaf G. came along with the internal image and text viewer.
Piotr then did some general bugfixing and improvements, then
started to build support for meta-data (this is quite
bleeding edge for a filemanager i think..).

And here we are now..

I am the one responsible for the homepage, and i have
been around in this project since early 2002 (when it
still was on sourceforge.net), but i am no programmer.

In the list-archive you may also see a lot of posts
from Micha, hwo is someone with a lot of ideas..
Much of the TODO list comes from some discussion
with Micha.

//Magnus S.