gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Step into archive files

From: Marcus Bjurman
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Step into archive files
Date: 03 Feb 2004 20:01:39 -0100

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 14:42, Szilard Novaki wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I was investigating the code, and reorganized a bit to support changing
> dir into an archive. However, it stops with no such file or directory. I
> generate the following uri:
>
> file:///path/to/sg/archive.tar.gz#gzip#tar
>
> as in the gnome-vfs tutorial. The only thing I can think of is that I
> don't have gnome-vfs modules that can handle gzip and tar files. Does
> anyone know about such modules (my nautilus also opens fileroller,
> instead of stepping into it)?

Yes, it should be that easy to do if gnome-vfs worked as well as it says
in the tutorial. But it doesn't.

There was some discussion on this topic recently at the gnome-vfs
mailing list. Alexander Larsson had some good tips what needs fixing in
gnome-vfs to get those chained uris going.

Checkout this post and Alexander Larssons reply to it:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-vfs-list/2004-January/msg00013.html

/Marcus