gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] GCL on Mac

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] GCL on Mac
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 09:41:38 -0500

Greetings!

Formal documentation for these variables will appear in the info files
on release.  I'm still hoping to automate some of them away from the
user.

GCL_MEM_MULTIPLE multiplies the amount of apparent available memory on
startup to yield an effective runtime maximum.  So when doing
GCL_MEM_MULTIPLE=0.125 ... make -j 8, one is giving each job one eighth
of the runtime memory.

One can see how this might not be optimal, as certain jobs are likely to
require much more memory than others.  So GCL_MULTIPROCESS_MEMORY_POOL=t
... make -j 8 will keep a file in /tmp with the total GCL memory in use
across all jobs, and make allocation decisions based on this statistic.
I've experimented with this fairly extensively on seafoam, and while
basically stable, I have not yet found significant performance
improvements.

GCL will not gc at all until GCL_PAGE_MIN fraction of the effective
runtime maximum number of pages is allocated.  So lowering this value
starts gc earlier.

Once started, GC will be triggered based upon the amount of allocation
since the last gc.  The threshhold is lowered smoothly as the heap
approaches GCL_PAGE_MAX fraction of the effective runtime maximum, at
which point GC will occur whenever the last allocation is GCL_ALLOC_MIN
fraction of the effective runtime maximum.

So for example, with the default settings, no gc occurs until 0.5 of
the runtime maximum memory is allocated.  Then GC starts whenever the
recent allocation is 1/3+0.05=38% of the runtime maximum, until the heap
grows to 0.75 of the maximum, at which time gc occurs whenever the
recent allocation is 5% of the maximum.

If any of this is unclear, please feel free to ask followup questions.
Suggestions for improvement as always are most appreciated.

Take care,