gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] GCL on Mac

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] GCL on Mac
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 08:40:37 -0500

Greetings, and thanks so much for your feedback!

As you know one of the release goals of 2.6.13 is to be able to use all
available memory effectively, i.e. no compile-time maxpages.  This
introduced two problems, 1) loading code over 2Gb limit, and 2) staying
out of swap.  As for the first, we have si::*code-block-reserve*.  As
for the second, we have those tuning environment variables I've
mentioned before.  You should be good at present for example by setting
GCL_MEM_MULTIPLE=0.125, among other possibilities
(e.g. GCL_MULTIPROCESS_MEMORY_POOL).

Though this does unlock performance gains, I'm unhappy about the extra
tuning variables.  In general, I'd like things to 'just work' by default
and possibly have tuning variables available for optional use by
experts.

It is conceivable that I could have gcl recognize the 2Gb limit and
compile code with the slower large memory model once reached, though
this code will lose about 10%.  It is also possible that GCL does some
sort of load monitoring, somewhat like the MULTIPROCESS_POOL but from a
system-wide level, instead of gauging memory at startup.  The general
problem here is that GCL cannot shrink its heap, so the maneuverability
once near saturation is detected is limited.  There is a branch which
implements a copying collector that would alleviate this, but I am
hoping to avoid this for this release.

Anyway, suggestions as always most appreciated.

Take care,