gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: a few questions about the status and direction of GC

From: mikel evins
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: a few questions about the status and direction of GCL
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 08:01:03 -0800

On Nov 22, 2004, at 7:33 AM, Camm Maguire wrote:

Greetings!

mikel evins <address@hidden> writes:

Yes, and it's still readily available, but its license is unclear, and
its implentation is extremely (Classic) MacOS-centric.

I'd think it would be worth your while trying to clarify the license.

Yep; we're doing it. t was released under what all involved remember was an extremely liberal open-source license, but no one can find an actual copy of the license text (in something of a blunder, the license text was distributed separately). The former ATG manager responsible asserts that there should be no problem, but then he's not at Apple any longer. He has contacted someone for us to try to find the license text.

Another very important question concerns support for multiple threads
of control. Can you help us out here? I think absence of some sort of
multithreading with reasonable performance characteristics is a
show-stopper.

GCL has no threading capability at present.  Multiple processes and
MPI are options.  Select based multitasking a la cmucl is a simple
addition.  But my understanding is that lisp threading issues are
non-trivial.  This said, if you can outline a clear implementation
strategy, this will accelerate matters.  We do want to get to it
eventually

Yah, they are nontrivial. It's hard, for example, to decide exactly what special variables mean in the context of multiple threads. One approach might be to emulate the OpenMCL treatment, which is documented here:

http://openmcl.org/Doc/ch04.html

That might be a pretty convenient model, since it's documented, the source is available, and we are using OpenMCL at present for the OSX prototype.

--me