gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: delayed pathname.d patch

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: delayed pathname.d patch
Date: 03 May 2004 13:17:49 -0400

Greetings!

"Mike Thomas" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Camm.
>
> | Am I forgetting anything?
>
> I haven't been observing you closely enough to answer that question
> comprehensively I'm sorry.
>
> However, as far as Windows GCL is concerned the answer is no, and thanks.
> (We can kill the configure.in duplication once there is no longer a need for
> repetitive testing.)

OK, reverted in both branches (you already did the main.c in head).  I
still think it would be nice at some point to change our winnt
features labels to match some output in the configure canonical host
string, but we'll defer this possibility for the future.

Also, please allow me to revert the debugging aids in head prog.c.
They are a great idea in your personal tree to assist with gdb
backtraces, but they are of course non-standard language features, and
others use the head branch for real work (i.e. its not just a
debugging branch).  Perhaps we could make a debugging branch if this
would be of assistance?  Personally, I always have lots of
uncommittable mods in my personal tree to help me figure out what is
going on, and this appears to work OK.  If I drift too far from cvs,
I'll rename the directory to test or some such and recheckout.

> This stuff actually turned out to be a very interesting diversion as using
> the Unix rather than winnt code (so presumably different warning switches)
> in gcl_cmpmain.lsp I got a bunch of gcc warning messages including some
> "possibly" uninitialised variables from the random tester:

> 1200 gazonk3.c: In function `L1':
> gazonk3.c:5235: warning: unused variable `V5'
> gazonk3.c: In function `L5':
> gazonk3.c:5231: warning: `V6' might be used uninitialized in this function
> gazonk3.c: In function `L1':
> gazonk3.c:5354: warning: unused variable `V4'
> gazonk3.c: In function `L3':
> gazonk3.c:5549: warning: unused variable `V11'
> gazonk3.c: In function `L1':
> gazonk3.c:5251: warning: `V2' might be used uninitialized in this function
> gazonk3.c: In function `L1':
> gazonk3.c:5482: warning: unused variable `V22'
> 1300 gazonk3.c: In function `L1':
>
> These messages never appeared before and I have yet to track them down - the
> intermediate files are being deleted and the names are not being printed so
> I'll have to modify the code to go further after I've done more on the path
> corruption problem.

This is very interesting, and I'd personally be interested in knowing
how your compiler flag setup wound up displaying these messages.  I'd
taken some pains to make sure the generated C code had a clean -Wall
compile, but I'd noticed that no warning messages, only errors, were
displayed when I ran the compiler under lisp.  In other words, I had
to run gcc on the command line on the output C files to see messages
like the above, so conceivably there could be many cases of -Wall
cleanups that I've missed.  What was the lisp input here?  I had
pushed the gcc warning display issue way down on the future TODO
list.

Take care,