gcl-devel

RE: [Gcl-devel] compiler speed

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Gcl-devel] compiler speed
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:42:35 -0500

Camm,

On Tuesday, March 16, 2004 11:28 AM you wrote:

> Greetings!  I've been working on this a bit, and have not been able to
> find any more errors, which is good!  I'd like to get the 10,000/8
> case up to the 50k runs or so you did with clisp, but have discovered
> that we have a performance issue in the compiler which scales
> quadratically with the number of variables.  I've come up with a fix,
> which reduces the GCL portion of the compile time for your forms of
> size 10000 to a small fraction of its earlier value.
>
> I'm debating with myself whether its good to commit into the stable
> branch before release.  Compile speed is not a major issue in most
> cases -- nevertheless I think it useful to be able to report some good
> statistics on your random tester which apply to the stable branch.

If your change would affect compile times for Axiom (for example),
then I (personally) would place a high value in it.

The recent improvements to GCL on Windows are making me anxious
to get back to looking at Axion for Windows.

You and the rest of the GCL team are doing great work!

Thank you.

Cheers,
Bill Page.