gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] RE: Time/work remaining?

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: [Gcl-devel] RE: Time/work remaining?
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:13:25 +1000

Hi again.

Yet again Bob thanks very much.  Try:

   gcl_2.6.1.mingw32_ansi_japi_xdr_20040316.zip

There are two things happening with this installer:

1. I've gotten a little daring spurred on by our success and inserted an
"exit" command after the "pause" on that batch file - all going well it
won't break the W98 installer but rather will allow you to exit gracefully
from that window without the need to click on the close icon.  Fingers
crossed.

2. Based on our success yesterday, I've now reinstated the XDR
functionality.  This needs to be tested on one of the machines which had the
silent failure on start up.  All going well the XDR extension will be
workable on W98 and no barrier to Axiom portability there.  Toes crossed.

Camm:  The only "pseudo-fatal" issue I am aware of on Windows now is the
failure of compiler::link due to (system "touch blah") I mentioned
yesterday.

Is this a fail safe for when #+gnu-ld is not present?

If so it can be worked around easily enough with #-gnu-ld.  Otherwise (and I
think more appropriately) we can just use a lisp file function to make an
empty file.  I think we should avoid callouts to system utilities for the
sake of portability.  I would do this but I'm uncertain of your intentions.

There are two other loose ends I think it would be good to fix:

  1. The in-package error reporting when the package doesn't exist.  The
error message about "not of type string" is misleading to say the least; I
ran into the problem the other day while trying to compile the *Lisp
emulator.  Unfortunately I'm uncertain whether this goes against anything
you or Paul have been doing with your ANSIification work.  It is a simple
fix and I am happy to do that if you wish.

  2. I discovered this afternoon that si::info doesn't wait for a response
from the keyboard anymore when more than one option exists.  It seems
related to the problem I reported with Maxima doc the other day, but I
haven't chased it up yet.  Does this also happen with Linux?

Best of luck

Mike Thomas.