gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: function addresses and ld.so

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: function addresses and ld.so
Date: 14 Aug 2003 11:18:37 -0400

Greetings, and thank you for your helpful example!

In fact, GCL uses a mechanism like this for user compiled lisp
functions, known as its 'faslink' mechanism.  Each call to an external
function from within a compiled lisp function refers at first to a
static stub, which then invokes a routine call_or_link to redirect the
function pointer to the real address for subsequent calls.  These
addresses are stored in an array in such a manner that the user can
redirect the function pointer back to the stub by setting a lisp
variable use-faslinks to nil.

Your proposal below appears to have promise, but I think it would need
a mechanism like the above to redirect the pointers back to the stub
before unexec.  The reason for this is that it appears to be common
lisp usage to make incremental changes to an image, dump, and reload
the next day.  I won't be able to guarantee the lack of function call
before unexec, therefore.

Still, this should be doable.  I have a few questions:

1) My understanding is that it is critical to declare the stub
   static, and therefore it needs to be defined in the same file
   housing the pointer.

2) What if some other variable in a different file defines a different
   pointer and assigns its value to this pointer, e.g. double
   (*ptr1_sqrt)(double)=ptr_sqrt; , and saves this pointer into an
   unexeced .data section?  Don't I have the same problem?  (In a
   separate posting, I've clarified that my problem is not in
   referring to symbols in external shared libs such as sqrt, but in
   referring to addresses in my .text section from variables unexeced
   into the .data section.  The only difference I can see in the
   proposal you suggest below from what we do now is that the symbol
   referred to in the .text by the variable in the .data would be a
   variable, instead of a function per se.  Would this step around the
   function descriptor behavior?)

3) What is the problem with variadics?  GCL, being a rather old
   program before the era of prototypes, still casts function pointers
   to ((object)(*)()) in places.  While not the cleanest, it does
   currently seem to handle variadics properly across the 11 Debian
   architectures.

4) Can you elaborate on your idea of having the stub _be_ the PLT
   stub?  GCL already has quite a few low level machine specific
   routines, so if its not too difficult, GCL might be able to provide
   its own portable interface.

Take care,