gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Two new tests for (SETF (VALUES ...) ...)

From: Paul F. Dietz
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Two new tests for (SETF (VALUES ...) ...)
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 07:04:01 -0500

Camm Maguire wrote:

Apart from the quoting needed on the target variables, there only
seems to be a facility for a *single* 'store' variable, which cannot
be assigned to all of the values of a multiple value form, at least
not in any way that I can see.  My understanding is that
macroexpansions resulting from the define-setf-method specifications
also have this property, although this statement has not been completely
verified.

I'll have to look at gcl, but GET-SETF-EXPANSION in ANSI CL does
allow multiple store variables, which are to hold the values that
will be assigned to the place.  As far as I can tell GET-SETF-METHOD
does this as well -- it returns a list as its third value.

Perhaps you need to use DEFINE-SETF-EXPANDER instead of DEFSETF
in order to get multiple store values?

        Paul