gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: GCL code cleanup...

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: GCL code cleanup...
Date: 11 Jan 2002 13:04:42 -0500

Greetings!

Robert Alan Byer <address@hidden> writes:

> Have you had the chance to look over my rather large DIFF file I e-mailed a
> while back with code cleanups for the GMP stuff and tests?
>
> I'm wanting to submit them to CVS soon so the other OpenVMS people that are
> going to help can start digging into stuff.

Please excuse my delay here.  It is committed into cvs (both branches)
now.  Thanks for your submission!

> Also...
>
> While GNU C is available for OpenVMS, most of the GNU C systems widely
> available are rather old (like pre 1994) and the references to newer
> versions of GNU C are "supposed" to be available for OpenVMS, they are
> rather hard to find.
>
> The reason I'm bringing this up is that I'm afraid that GCL development is
> going to gear totaly tward GNU C library customizations which would make an
> OpenVMS port even harder or next to impossible.

Actually, I'd like to keep things as ANSI compliant as possible.  What
makes you think we're moving toward GNU C extensions?  The libraries
we are adding should all be portable ANSI C, or close at least.

> I'm working trying to get the latest GNU C release and use that as the
> OpenVMS GCL development platform, but so far, no luck...
>
> Trying to keep everything as ANSI C as possible will be a BIG help is
> getting GCL on other platforms.

Agreed!  Please report any specific non-ansi items you discover, and
we'll see if fixing it doesn't break anything else.  Of course, right
now, the code is quite far model C in form.  There are very few
prototypes, assigments without casts everywhere, etc.  But as far as I
can tell, all this is just as bad on gcc as any other compiler.

Take care,