gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Readline support in 2.5.0

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Readline support in 2.5.0
Date: 19 Dec 2001 19:28:19 -0500

Greetings, all!  OK, I spent some time today getting into the guts of
the system.  I managed to get the standard readline functionality to
work with dynamic linking.  It is detected automatically at compile
time, but only activated at runtime if one evaluated
(si::init-readline).  I had thought that some might be running gcl
under some emacs mode, and would like readline to be an option.  Also,
though I haven't tested this, this should allow maxima to load its
keywords into readline too.

The way this was done is to ship a compiled lsp .o file, readline.o,
and have it autoload when the user issues the command.  I played
around a bit with using the c files generated by the compiler to see
if I could link those in directly.  It appears as if all the c relies
heavily on the assumption that the code will be fasloaded, which I
understand alas very poorly.  If anyone would care to enlighten me on
lisp linking/possibilities, I'd be most grateful.

My roadmap for 2.5.0 currently is to clean up the build cruft, add
ansi sloop and defsystem, and import two trees of cltl1 tests I've
found, and get all the #' defined right so gcl passes.