[Fsuk-manchester] NASA's International Space Apps Challenge - York: 12-1

From: Space Apps York
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] NASA's International Space Apps Challenge - York: 12-13 April 2014
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 17:19:51 +0000

Dear members of the Manchester Free Software,

My name is Pedro Ribeiro and I am a member of the organising committee for NASA's Space Apps Challenge at York - a 2-day global hackathon led by NASA. Here in York, this free event will be hosted by the Department of Computer Science, University of York, on the 12th and 13th of April 2014.

I was wondering whether any of your members would be interested in participating. For further information please check the message included below. You are welcome to forward it to other recipients. I am also attaching a poster that you are free to print and circulate.

Best regards,
Pedro Ribeiro

--

Hi there,

For a second consecutive time, on the weekend of the 12th and 13th April 2014, the Department of Computer Science, University of York, will be hosting the third edition of NASA's International Space Apps Challenge - a free 2-day global hackathon. This is an opportunity for you to tackle real-world challenges to improve life on Earth and in space!

Whether you are a designer, software developer, technologist or simply have an enthusiasm for solving problems, this is the event for you! No programming experience is necessary. However, if you are a programmer and want to develop an app you are more than welcome to participate!

The International Space Apps Challenge, now in its third edition, is a unique annual hackathon type of event, which will take place in over 90 locations worldwide simultaneously. In 2013 it attracted more than 9000 simultaneous participants from all over the globe!

At the event, you will form a team with others taking part in the hackathon, and you and your team will be focused on solving a particular challenge. You will compete with other teams around the world and you will be able to use publicly available data to create your own solution to NASA's global challenges. This year's challenges will focus on five themes: Earth Watch, Technology in Space, Human Spaceflight, Robotics and Asteroids.

Participants compete against teams locally and globally to win prizes, with the global winning team receiving special attention from NASA, including a support package to further develop the winning app. UK winners will also be invited to present their solutions at the Victoria and Albert museum in London.

In order to attend the event you must register on-line at:
https://2014.spaceappschallenge.org/location/york/

You can also keep in touch via Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SpaceAppsYork

or follow us on twitter at:
https://twitter.com/spaceappsyork

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us on address@hidden